Parents Bill of Rights
Pursuant to the Common Core Reform Act Parent Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
1. A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s educational record.
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored and transferred.
4. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State will be available for public review both online and via regular mail from the State Education Department. State Ed Data Collection Website
Parents can also request information from:
Office of Information and Reporting Services
Room 865 EBA
89 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12234
5. Parents, eligible students (students who are at least 18 years of age or attending a postsecondary institution at any age), principals, teachers, and employees of an educational agency may file a complaint about a possible breach or improper disclosure of student data and/or protected teacher or principal data. This complaint form is submitted to Karen Soanes, Ed.D. Director of Instructional Technology and Andrew Doell, Superintendent of Bloomfield Central School District.
Parents have the right to know which vendors the district is using that contains student data. To receive a list of software and website vendors please contact Karen Soanes, Director of Instructional Technology. For safety and security measures, we do not post this information publically.